Social Events

Welcome Reception  (27 August 7pm)

The Oulu City Hall was born around its heart, the assembly hall. The wooden hotel and restaurant Seurahuone, which was situated on the same site, was destroyed in the fire of Oulu in 1882, and along with it the only assembly hall in town. When the new Seurahuone, a neo-Renaissance stone palace, was built soon afterwards, the assembly hall had a major role in the design work.

The former Seurahuone assembly hall was taken into use on 29.10. 1886 when a banquet was held there to celebrate the completion of the railway line to Oulu.

Source: https://www.ouka.fi/oulu/english/city-hall

Gala Dinner  (28 August 7pm)

ISWCS’2019 Gala dinner will be held at Maikkula Estate.

History of the Maikkula Estate

The name Maikkula evokes memories of the good old days in Oulu. When arriving at the yard, the view is the same as in the 19th century: Fredrika’s House from the 1860’s at the river bank, an 18th century’s barn, stable and worker’s quarters Väentupa on the right and the main building from the 1830’s in the middle.

The growth rings of construction timber have been examined with microscopic precision. The oldest logs of the buildings have started growing in the Middle Ages. Looking at the state of Maikkula buildings today, the construction work of old times strikes with awe.

The estate’s Main Building and Fredrika’s House at the shore got their final form in the 1860’s when the estate was governed by the senior state officers Liljeqvist and Nordberg, the first sheriff of the parish of Oulu. The backgrounds of the estate owners, achievements of the constructors and graffiti of the painters have been accurately documented (from the beginning of the 19th century). Part of the builders’ signatures can still be found on the logs. You can still hear these interesting and mysterious tales in the halls of Maikkula.

After the great fire of Oulu in 1822 “the society of Oulu” could soon admire a manor building exceptionally large for Northern Ostrobothnia. Restaurant activity in the main building continued until 1982.

Maikkula and Oulu River have always belonged together. Oulu River brought all the wealth to Oulu via Maikkula. This primeval itinerary became the world’s leading route to the Tar Palace (Tervahovi) of Oulu from the 1730’s onwards when lives depended on the ”black gold”.